This is such a powerful question for solopreneurs, SMEs and all ambitious businesses wanting to grow at pace. In this blog, our director (and seasoned freelancer) Kate Chastey, reveals how you will know when the time is right to start outsourcing.
“If only I had more time, I’d be able to do everything myself”.
If you’ve said this sentence recently, chances are you are NOT ready to outsource. Let me explain; the real value with outsourcing comes from enlisting the help of people that can actually do things better than you – it’s a mindset shift. Only when you really grasp this will outsourcing be a decision you thank yourself for.
Sure, there are many tasks you can outsource that, on the surface, seem likely to save you time (email management or appointment setting being just two examples) but, I encourage all business owners, and especially Passionate PA clients, to think beyond simply time saving and onto where the real value will come.
A valuable outsource solution is one that adds something to your business that you cannot. This might be as simple as efficiency, but it might also be special expertise, knowledge, customer insight and so on. Ultimately, any outsourcing solution should not be seen as simply a cost to your business, but as an asset as it can actually improve your bottom line.
So, how will you know if outsourcing will add real value to your business now?
If you answer YES to any of these questions, now is the time to start outsourcing.
Has overwhelmed and/or overworked become the norm?
- Do you or your team talk frequently about how busy you are, how overwhelming the to do list is and how you just wish there were more hours in the day?
- Does this mean that you or your people are not focusing on the elements of business that only they can do?
- Are errors being made or is customer service falling short?
- Are you missing opportunities to upsell or drive profitable customer engagement?
- Is there an over-reliance on one person who is performing most functions or tasks within the business?
- Are you missing deadlines (even self-imposed ones)?
Are there knowledge and experience gaps in your business?
- Are there tasks or responsibilities being managed by those with inadequate skill and experience?
- Do certain tasks take far too long?
- Are you missing opportunities to automate functions?
- Is there a lack of fresh ideas and perspective?
- Do you often have internal projects that overrun or get put on the backburner as there just isn’t the time to complete them?
Is your business in need of a flexible growth strategy?
- Is your business ready for growth but you are not ready for the commitment of an employed team?
- Or, do you personally not want to become an employer but still want to grow your business?
- Have you tried recruiting but you just can’t find the right skill, expertise or personality?
- Are you craving a consistent partnership that can grow with your business, something flexible rather than over-reliant on you?
- Do you know there are more opportunities to be had for your business, if only you had the right support around you?
If you answered YES to any of these, it’s time to step back from the frontline and invest just a few hours in finding, speaking with and initiating a working relationship with an outsource service provider.
The most incredible thing about outsourcing is that it gives you power. It allows you to create the time and space needed so you can concentrate on the things you got into business for… the things that are uniquely you and the things you love.
Everything else can (and should!) be outsourced. Yes, everything.
If you would like to hear more from Kate about preparing to outsource, listen to The Smart Business Podcast, episode 49, where Karen Murray interviews Kate to explore all things outsourcing.
In our next blog, I’ll share with you how to go about finding the right solution for you, and how to start the outsourcing partnership. If however, you are ready to discover what you personally could outsource, we have a super tool to help you decide what you can delegate, and when. Just pop your details below and we’ll send it straight to you.
Request your free Delegation Tool today to help you prepare to outsource.